Sunday, May 17, 2015

Middles ex Blog # 5: Personal Story


I guess in some ways I can relate to Callie. In the relation to that I had a moment (not as significant) that changed how I viewed my self and my family. 
Several years ago, I was told that I have a different grandfather then all of my cousins. On a biological standpoint I saw myself as less of a cousin or less of a niece to my aunt. It's just strange to think that the person I presumed was my grandfather has no relation to me and the fact that there is another man out there who is actually related to me. Someone I never knew and never will. Learning this new information was weird. I felt almost betrayed in a way by my family into making me believe in a story that wasn't 100 percent truth. Kind of like a kid learning that Santa wasn't really that's how I felt. It made me think and still makes me think about what defines and who defines your family? Just because I have a different grandfather then my cousins shouldn't make me any less of a person to them. Just because Callie has learned that she's different from everyone else shouldn't make her feel obliged to change who she is. Although, It was a hard piece of information to wrap my head around I've learned to accept and love my family. My cousins are still my cousins and my aunt is still my aunt. All that's different is that I know the fully story. I now know why I tan easier or that my nose looks a little different from my cousins, aunts and uncles. I accord who and am even though I'm 1/4 unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment